Go Back   Ford Performance Club of North Texas > General Discussion > Technical Forum

(#1)
Old
XTreme Techie

What projects are U working on (part 3) - 11-05-2011, 11:46 AM

OK, you've heard it before. Everyone is working on projects, small and large. If you are doing it to your car, then it is worth talking about here. No project is too small or too large.

You can find some previous stuff from part 2 HERE

I remember once long ago when replacing my air filter with a K&N and installing a new Steeda shifter was a significant achievement. So lets hear about what U are working on right now !!

If you have some pics, that would be bonus for all of us. Work in progress or the finished product. Anything, in any state of repair (or dis-repair) works . Let's see it !!
(#2)
Old

11-06-2011, 12:10 AM

I am in the process of gathering parts for my engine build. So far I have billet steel oil pump gears, Accufab billet steel trigger wheel, Accufab polished throttle body, ARP main studs, ARP 2000 head studs, Eagle forged rods with ARP 2000 bolts, DSS 3/4" billet main support system, SHM billet fuel rails and Stage 8 Header locking Bolts. As many of you know I have already built and programmed my tune for future mods. The TwEECer and Binary Editor Software rock. If all goes well I'll perform the build over spring 2012.

98 SVT Cobra Convertible - Laser Red/Saddle-Black Interior/Saddle top
Vortech S-Trim w/AC @ 10.5 PSI, 60# injectors, TKO 5 speed, Full MM suspension at all 4 corners. TWEECER-RT,Netbook PC, Binary Editor and EEC Analyzer for DIY tuning. Last dyno: 471 RWHP and 389 RWTQ. Engine build to handle more power is under way.

Other Cars I've owned:
SOLD - 1984 Mustang GT, 5.0, M5, Medium Canyon Red Glow, Charcoal interior & T-tops.
GONE - 1972 Chevelle w/402 CI BB and turbo 400 trans.
SOLD - 1966 Plymouth Belvedere w/383, 4 speed and Sure Grip diff.

Member of: www.EECTuning.org

Last edited by GACobra; 11-09-2011 at 02:40 PM..
(#3)
Old
XTreme Techie

11-07-2011, 11:30 AM

Good stuff GA! You are indeed a hard core auto enthusiast techie!
(#4)
Old
Chili Champ 2012

11-07-2011, 03:12 PM

I'm currently looking for a job so I can afford to do all my car projects. If you know a recruiter I can send my resume to please let me know.

Scott

Bumblebee
1990 Mustang LX Hatchback
- 225 BHP
5.0 Auto with factory 3.27 gear

Hodor
Oxford White 1995 F150 XL

300 i6
42k miles

Stinky
2004 Ford Freestar SES

School Bus

Gone
Marla - 2004 Mach 1 - 265 RWHP, 285 RWTQ, 8.57 @79MPH 1/8 mile
2001 Cobra - IRS Equipped Dyno Queen, 310 RWHP, 311 RWTQ
1998 Mustang GT, Rio Red
1994 Ford Ranger 4.0, Black
(#5)
Old

11-08-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
Good stuff GA! You are indeed a hard core auto enthusiast techie!
Like I've always said DIY is half the fun but I sure miss my lift and old garage.

Vortech S-Trim w/AC @ 10.5 PSI, 60# injectors, TKO 5 speed, Full MM suspension at all 4 corners. TWEECER-RT,Netbook PC, Binary Editor and EEC Analyzer for DIY tuning. Last dyno: 471 RWHP and 389 RWTQ. Engine build to handle more power is under way.

Other Cars I've owned:
SOLD - 1984 Mustang GT, 5.0, M5, Medium Canyon Red Glow, Charcoal interior & T-tops.

(#6)
Old
Keeper of the Faith

11-09-2011, 10:20 AM

Now that the weather is cool, my next project is attempting to hire Gary D. to install new headlights on a couple of cars. I'm told that he is the expert on such things and has reasonable rates.

Robert

2010 GT - sunset gold daily driver
(#7)
Old

11-09-2011, 02:51 PM

I also have a complete Maximum Motorsport K - Member and front coil over suspension package that I will install while the engine is out of the car. Granted the work is not under way yet but getting close.

Other Cars I've owned:

(#8)
Old
Evil Villain

11-09-2011, 09:03 PM

I currently am in parts gathering and selling mode. so, I currently have no winter protects.

GA, if you need an extra hand with anything let me know.
(#9)
Old

11-09-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin joe View Post
GA, if you need an extra hand with anything let me know.
Thanks Joe, I will. Everything hinges on the engine build, I really didn't want to attempt the front end work until the engine is out of the car.

Other Cars I've owned:

Last edited by GACobra; 11-09-2011 at 11:21 PM..
(#10)
Old
Club Evangelist

Finally! - 11-14-2011, 08:43 AM

As easy as this sounds, I've been chasing down a leak at my thermostat housing for about 2 months. After the re-build, everything stayed dry for about 6 months and then the leak started at the bottom. Tried three different housings since then (Autozone, Mr. Gasket, and even one that Mike Ballard got for his Fox from Late Model Restoration), 5 different gaskets/sealers, and even let Brian and his crew at Lone Star try to get it dry, all to no avail.

So, after Aaron had been telling me to do this for the last two months, I bit the bullet and bought one of the aluminum billet ones that use an o-ring. Problem solved!

(#11)
Old
"Sir Crazy"

11-14-2011, 08:34 PM

I can relate Jim. I had a coolant leak on the '96 that I couldn't locate for a while. Thought it was the radiator for the longest time but then figured out it was the underside of the pressure/overflow tank.

Craig

'98 chrome yellow Cobra coupe
'93 canary yellow Mustang LX 5.0L convertible feature car
'12 competition orange Boss 302
'08 lightning red Subaru Impreza 2.5i premium - retired daily driver
'02 silver/purple Honda Shadow ACE
'08 white diamond pearl Acura TL - daily driver

Gone, but not forgotten...
'96 mystic Cobra - sold
'98 Mazda B2500 SE - RIP
'92 vibrant red Mustang LX 5.0L convertible feature car - sold
'90 strawberry metallic Mustang GT - sold

MUSTANGS NEVER DIE... THEY JUST GET FASTER!!!
(#12)
Old
EL Presidente...

11-14-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-Timer View Post
As easy as this sounds, I've been chasing down a leak at my thermostat housing for about 2 months. After the re-build, everything stayed dry for about 6 months and then the leak started at the bottom. Tried three different housings since then (Autozone, Mr. Gasket, and even one that Mike Ballard got for his Fox from Late Model Restoration), 5 different gaskets/sealers, and even let Brian and his crew at Lone Star try to get it dry, all to no avail.

So, after Aaron had been telling me to do this for the last two months, I bit the bullet and bought one of the aluminum billet ones that use an o-ring. Problem solved!

Thats wierd, I replaced HP's thermo and gasket on his Lightning and no leaks even through the inferno summer. I wonder if you had a housing that was not cast correctly. Just for laughs can you post where you boought that new billet housing in case HP's starts to leak. I might even change it just because that one looks so pimp...'Henry

Howdy hi there friends and neighbors, this is your old pal EL Monte Slim again, hot damn its good to see ya today.
(#13)
Old
Club Evangelist

11-14-2011, 09:17 PM

I bought the JEGS brand rather than Billet Specialties. I thought a bad housing might be the issue, but with three different ones from different manufacturers.... my odds of three bad ones were pretty long!
(#14)
Old
XTreme Techie

11-14-2011, 09:34 PM

Can't argue with that logic. Looks like it paid off too. Glad to see it is fixed.

Sometimes those radiator leaks are real pesky. You smell it, but can't see it. Can get real frustrating.
(#15)
Old
Evil Villain

11-29-2011, 11:20 PM

Update: with my new found freedom, plans have changed. My winter project is now to.....

1. Finish quadrajet rebuild for Cadillac.
2. Install new fuel pump found in trunk of Cadillac.
3. Drain gas tank in Cadillac.
4. Get Cadillac running.
5. Apply for antique auto insurance for Cadillac.
6. Get antique tags for Cadillac.
7. Buy new narrow white walls for Cadillac.
8. Make SVT spring car show in Cadillac.

My rides
2013 F150 Supercrew Lariat, 4x4 ORP - Ruby Red
1993 LX 5.0, 5 spd hatch - Electric Red
1968 Cadillac DeVille convertible - aka The Love Boat.