(#1)
Old
USN SEABEE retired

Cobra running hot? - 03-21-2006, 09:36 AM

Well now I will not complain about it running rich!

Sunday in the cold and rain on a 4 mile run to town I noticed the temp gauge going
to A in Normal it normally stays at M in normal (did that make since). So I figure
it's the thermostat given the rain and such. I drop the car off at the shop and ask them
to replace it ASAP so I'm not down to long. I pick it up and they say whats this? I say
heck if I know (it looked like a bushing only bigger 3" long 1" wide) they say it was jamed
up in the thermostat? So it's fixed..............not even close I don't make it home
the cobra reached L in normal FAST and I shut it down and let it cool off. Then drove
the rest of the 4 miles .

So now I'm thinking did they install the thermostat right I figure its a no brianer right?

Waterpump do the 4.6 leak thru the weep hole when bad?

Belt tention on the pullie?

How hot is L I figure around 240 250 range how much heat can the DOHC stand before
very bad things happen?

98 Cobra
92 LX
03 GT
(#2)
Old

03-21-2006, 09:56 AM

The heat will kill the motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Make sure the guys that put the new stat in bled all the air out of the system! There is a proper way to do it! That "spacer" needs to be identified as to were it belongs and to figure how it got where it was.

Jerry
SVT Texas Technical Coordinator
2007 Solstice
1997 T-Bird MUST SELL
1948 F1 Street Rod MUST SELL
1997 Cobra Convertible ......#1970 of 3088 MUST SELL
Black with Saddle top and Saddle Leather..... 1 of 219
Now one of a kind
if interested in buying any of Jerry's vehicles, contact Jera 817-681-3565
(#3)
Old
USN SEABEE retired

03-21-2006, 10:54 AM

Burp the system?

98 Cobra
92 LX
03 GT
(#4)
Old
Stick axles suck...

03-21-2006, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My98SVTsnake
Burp the system?
And how could it be "jammed in the thermostat"? I guess they mean in one of the hoses leading to the thermostat housing, which in our cars is located in an easy to access location on the lower front drivers side between the engine and radiator. Did they install the t-stat the right way around? Did they instal the correct t-stat (it is not a common one - Ford dealers might carry it, but most everywhere else will need to order it).

As Jerry mentioned, if there was something they removed from the cooling system, it most likely had a purpose - to just removed it and not figure out what it is and if it needs to be there is cause for concern!

They obviously didn't run your engine for very long after they "fixed it" to ensure the cooling system was actually working? Was this a dealer you took it to??

BTW, our Cobras work SO much better with a 180 degree stat than the stock 192 degree one. Those temps are where the stat starts to open - the stock stat is not fully open until a sizzling 212 degrees, whereas the 180 degree stat I use is fully open at 198 degrees, which IMO is a much more sensible temperature for your coolant to run at. There are lower temp stats available, but I wouldn't recommend them for regular driving as it may cause the computer to never get out of closed loop mode - which is bad. If you have to again change the stat to fix this problem, consider getting a 180 degree one.

Daron

2015 GT
IRS Equipped 98 Cobra
2012 Kona Blue Boss (sold)
(#5)
Old

03-21-2006, 06:04 PM

Also, all stats are not created equal. I would stick with a Ford part here because it will be exactly as design called for. Some aftermarket stats have a heat range close to the factory but maybe a couple of degrees wider range.

Jerry
2007 Solstice
1997 T-Bird MUST SELL
Now one of a kind
(#6)
Old
USN SEABEE retired

03-22-2006, 11:04 AM

Where do you buy the 180 stat.

I checked the cooling sysem and there was NO water I could see in the cross over pipe.

I am going to wait till this weekend and install a 180 stat and check more as I
have more time then.

Question the thing on the cross over pipe has what looks like a X on it doe it unscrew?

98 Cobra
92 LX
03 GT
(#7)
Old
Stick axles suck...

03-22-2006, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My98SVTsnake
Where do you buy the 180 stat.

I checked the cooling sysem and there was NO water I could see in the cross over pipe.

I am going to wait till this weekend and install a 180 stat and check more as I
have more time then.

Question the thing on the cross over pipe has what looks like a X on it doe it unscrew?
The 180 stat I used is a quality Hypertec part - it is available from Autozone as special order. They will have it listed as an optional part in their computer system.

Are you talking about the cooling system fill plug located in the cross over tube that is located in front of your intake? If so, then yes, this does unscrew - it is where you refill the cooling system from.

Check out this thread for complete info about the cooling system and changing coolant - you will be able to follow this procedure to make sure the system is properly filled and burped:

http://forums.svttexas.com/showthread.php?t=6327

Daron

2015 GT
IRS Equipped 98 Cobra
(#8)
Old

03-22-2006, 07:26 PM

The plug in the cross pipe has a 1/4" square notch that a 1/4 drive ratchet will fit into. The plug will be very tight so don't break an extention like I did.

Jerry
2007 Solstice
1997 T-Bird MUST SELL
Now one of a kind
(#9)
Old
USN SEABEE retired

03-23-2006, 10:19 AM

Thanks guys!

I miss these days http://www.mccoy.army.mil/ReadingRoo...82005/NMCB.htm

I try and keep up with my old unit just...........well I really don't know why.

98 Cobra
92 LX
03 GT
(#10)
Old
Stick axles suck...

03-23-2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burlesonsnake
The plug in the cross pipe has a 1/4" square notch that a 1/4 drive ratchet will fit into. The plug will be very tight so don't break an extention like I did.
good point - I've busted a 1/4" ratchet and a couple of 3/8 to 1/4 reducers trying to get this sucker loose - in somce cases, we have had to resort to using locking pliers around the outside as well as the 1/4" ratchet to get that thing loose. It's a good idea to replace the o'ring and use anit-sieze compound on the threads when you put it back together.

Daron

2015 GT
IRS Equipped 98 Cobra
(#11)
Old

03-25-2006, 01:23 PM

It sounds like a burping issue and the other mysterious part is perplexing....and I agree wiht the new T-stat temp range

Steve
GT500
(#12)
Old
USN SEABEE retired

03-26-2006, 09:31 PM

I am almost out of idea's.

We burped and filled and let it cool and burped and filled and so on all
day.

We checked the thermostat changed to a 180 degree checked the radiator it seemed ok. Filled the system from the heater hose and the over
flow and the cross over pipe. Checked the belt it's got room to get
tighter. The water pump felt fine.........but I am unsure if I should
replace the radiator or water pump next.

The car normally runs at between R and M (noRMal) now I shut it down
at A headed to L! Under load on the high way at idle it's fine?

Idea's? I am sad to say that I am ready to load it on a trailer and carry it to a shop
(one that understands 4.6 DOHC).

Running this motor hott is nothing I am will to keep playing with.........as a matter
fact it scares the B-jesus out of me the thought of it getting to hot and creating
major problems cracked head or blown head gasket and such.

Thanks you guys for all your attention and idea's........keep them coming please.

The mystery part has been ID'ed it was/is the boot off the top a spark plug wire........don't ask
me how it got there!

98 Cobra
92 LX
03 GT

Last edited by My98SVTsnake; 03-26-2006 at 09:33 PM..
(#13)
Old

03-27-2006, 01:06 AM

Now I thought those spark plugs went deep but that is rediculous. Are you sure your temperature "guage" is functioning correctly? Do you have a pirometer? It might be useful in checking your engine temp against another like Cobra. Just a suggestion. Hope you get it fixed.

'04 Mystichrome Vert
'96 Mystic
'70 Boss 302
(#14)
Old
Yo! Me an old Fart?

03-27-2006, 09:39 AM

Have you changed the temp sending unit? Believe it or not, on a lot of newer cars the so called gauge is nothing more than a fancy idiot light and don't actually send the real temp as in the oler vehicles.

68 GT Fastback
93 Cobra #3237 of 4993
95 Cobra Convertible #337 of 1003
99 35th Anniversary Convertible
05 Dodge D2500 4X4 Quad Cab Diesel (Big Blue)
01 Chrysler Prowler Mulholland Edition SOLD
(#15)
Old

03-27-2006, 05:58 PM

The times my Cobra has overheated (all the time the idiot gauges registered normal) this past year were because:

Bad low speed fan relay.
Clogged radiator.
Blown head gaskets.
Oil cooler failure in which all but one quart of oil leaked into the coolant system. What a mess! Just picked it up from John Eagle today. Cascade works wonders. They really worked hard to save my motor. I really don't like other people working on my Mustangs, but I trust them.

You are in Bonham, right? I don't know if the shop next to O'Reilly's will work. I'd take you Cobra to John Eagle.

Freddie

99 Cobra
69 Fastback
68 Fastback