Go Back   Ford Performance Club of North Texas > General Discussion > The Lounge

(#1)
Old
Administrator

4 door Mustang...say it isn't so! - 12-15-2006, 03:21 PM

Anyone see this on CNN?
http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/12/15/...dan/index.html

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Ford Motor Company released a statement today calling reports that the company would make four-door variants of its Mustang sports car "not true."

"The Mustang is an icon and will continue in its current form: a unique two-door, rear-wheel drive, 2+2 performance car," the statement says.

The term "2+2" refers to a car, like the Mustang, with small back seats.

The current issue of the auto enthusiast magazine AutoWeek includes a report that Ford was considering making four-door variants of the next-generation Mustang, possibly including a wagon.

"We are standing by our sources for that story," said Bob Gritzinger of Autoweek, acknowledging that the company might have changed its mind.

Ford's statement does not mean that the company would never manufacture a vehicle using the fundamental engineering or even some design cues from a future Mustang, Ford spokesman Alan Hall said.

But the Mustang name will only be attached to the classic Mustang-style car, Hall said.

Ford will unveil a concept car called "The Interceptor" at the Detroit Auto Show in January. That car will be based on the Mustang's rear-wheel-drive architecture but it will not be a Mustang, the company emphasized in its announcement.

There are currently no production plans for that vehicle, the company said.

G. Scott
Power in the Hands of a Few
1 of 14 to be exact
'98 Saleen Cobra #98-082
458 rwhp 372 torque
(#2)
Old
"King James"

12-18-2006, 08:24 AM

drop a 427 side oiler in it and i bet the looks would be cast aside...

Ah, who the hell knows what i'm driving anymore.

(#3)
Old
Yo! Me an old Fart?

12-18-2006, 09:08 AM

Looks like Autoweek is digging up stuff from 40+ years ago when Ford was working on the original Mustang and did have a few concept drawings of 4 door and wagon Mustangs. A few individuals have also built them along the way. One 65 wagon I saw used the back part of a Falcon wagon and actually looked pretty good.

68 GT Fastback
93 Cobra #3237 of 4993
95 Cobra Convertible #337 of 1003
99 35th Anniversary Convertible
05 Dodge D2500 4X4 Quad Cab Diesel (Big Blue)
01 Chrysler Prowler Mulholland Edition SOLD
(#4)
Old
"King James"

12-18-2006, 09:22 AM

It's really no different than mopar taking the new charger and throwing a wagon butt on it and calling it the Magnum

(#5)
Old

12-18-2006, 07:39 PM

A number of years ago (mid-80's?), a guy took a 66 or 67 stang, and grafted the butt-end of a Pinto wagon on it, without altering the doors. Looked decent for a one-off.
(#6)
Old
Lost

12-19-2006, 12:58 PM

I can see them making a 4-door car from the mustang chasis, but it won't be a mustang :
(#7)
Old
"King James"

12-19-2006, 01:05 PM

maybe they'll call it the clydesdale

(#8)
Old
Keeper of the Faith

12-20-2006, 08:59 AM

A wagon built from the Mustang platform is a great idea, so long as it is not called "Mustang." Bring back the Falcon name and we have a winner. Oh, and build me a modern Ranchero, too.

Robert

2010 GT - sunset gold daily driver
(#9)
Old
Yo! Me an old Fart?

12-20-2006, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75coug
...Bring back the Falcon name and we have a winner...
They still build the Falcon. It's just not sold in the U.S. It's a Aussie car with a V8. Darron could really fill in the details on it.

68 GT Fastback
93 Cobra #3237 of 4993
95 Cobra Convertible #337 of 1003
99 35th Anniversary Convertible
05 Dodge D2500 4X4 Quad Cab Diesel (Big Blue)
01 Chrysler Prowler Mulholland Edition SOLD
(#10)
Old
Keeper of the Faith

12-26-2006, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle
They still build the Falcon. It's just not sold in the U.S. It's a Aussie car with a V8. Darron could really fill in the details on it.
The Aussies also build a very dandy Ute (Ranchero), but the likelihood of Ford getting its act together and bringing it to the U.S. is nil. It is all very unfortunate.

Robert

2010 GT - sunset gold daily driver
(#11)
Old
Corner Carving

12-26-2006, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle
They still build the Falcon. It's just not sold in the
U.S. It's a Aussie car with a V8. Darron could really fill in the details on it.
The falcon is an AWSOME car! I have wanted one for about 10 years now. If they did it off a Falcon frame that would be a great car.

PS you can get a Falcon with a 5.4 down under

Micheal
2012 BOSS 302 Laguna Seca
Number 357 of 750
2004 Miata SPEED
1999 Ford Ranger 4x4
(#12)
Old
Stick axles suck...

01-02-2007, 03:55 PM

I just spent the last few weeks racking up 2000 miles in a Falcon XR6 on all my old favorite twisty roads - what a great car! Awesome handling, plenty of go, and a fantastic tranny (ZF 6 speed with manual mode - almost as good as a stick!).

Don't be so sure we won't see the Falcon or a US assembled derivitive of it here in the US soon. The reason we did not see previous generations of Aussie Falcons and Utes (aka Ranchero) is because they were never designed to be a left hand drive platform, so conversion and/or tooling costs to produce them for the US market were prohibitive. Ford Australia is currently designing the next gen Falcon (for 2008 - codenamed orion or E8), and this time, it is being designed to be either RHD or LHD. Interestingly enough, it was export potential to the China market that was the initial driver for a LHD version, but I'm sure recent developments here in the US market have cemented the decision.

Whether we see imports from downunder, or locally produced models based on the Aussie platform or development work - or a mix of the two - remains to be seen, but it is no secret that Ford is following GMs lead in looking to it's Aussie subsiduary for future RWD 4 door development.

On the other hand, Ford is short of money at the moment, so if they are not thinking globally, they might take the easy way out and just produce a 4 door based on the Mustang platform - perhaps on the same production line? This way development costs are minimal and it could be made cheaply using the antiquated solid axle rear end from the stang, perhaps mated to the Lincoln LS SLA front end, which would be more appropriate in a large RWD 4 door? The "Interceptor" concept certainly points in this direction - or perhaps it is only built this way because that is what was readily at hand locally to build a drivable concept car on? I hope it is the latter, because I do not think domestic manufacturers can turn around the trend away from their products unless they finally start building state of the art world class platforms instead of continuously rehashing their same old crap!

It would also be easy to read something into the naming of this new "Interceptor" concept from Ford - as any Mad Max/Road Warrior fan knows, the "Interceptor" is a Falcon! A law enforcement Falcon at that! Perhaps this is perfect choice of name for a Crown Vic cruiser replacement based on the next gen Falcon platform?

An interesting side note - in 2006 Ford transfered Scott Strong, who previously headed up design of the current Falcon, back to Australia as Design Director for the new platform - you may recognize the name - one of Mr Strongs hat's in his previous US based role with Ford was design chief at SVT since 2002, heading up design for the GT500.

Daron

2015 GT
IRS Equipped 98 Cobra
2012 Kona Blue Boss (sold)

Last edited by Oz98Cobra; 01-02-2007 at 04:14 PM..
(#13)
Old

01-02-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz98Cobra
I just spent the last few weeks racking up 2000 miles in a Falcon XR6 on all my old favorite twisty roads - what a great car! Awesome handling, plenty of go, and a fantastic tranny (ZF 6 speed with manual mode - almost as good as a stick!).

Don't be so sure we won't see the Falcon or a US assembled derivitive of it here in the US soon. The reason we did not see previous generations of Aussie Falcons and Utes (aka Ranchero) is because they were never designed to be a left hand drive platform, so conversion and/or tooling costs to produce them for the US market were prohibitive. Ford Australia is currently designing the next gen Falcon (for 2008 - codenamed orion or E8), and this time, it is being designed to be either RHD or LHD. Interestingly enough, it was export potential to the China market that was the initial driver for a LHD version, but I'm sure recent developments here in the US market have cemented the decision.

Whether we see imports from downunder, or locally produced models based on the Aussie platform or development work - or a mix of the two - remains to be seen, but it is no secret that Ford is following GMs lead in looking to it's Aussie subsiduary for future RWD 4 door development.

It would be easy to read something into the naming of this new "Interceptor" concept from Ford - as any Mad Max/Road Warrior fan knows, the "Interceptor" is a Falcon! A law enforcement Falcon at that! Perhaps this is perfect choice of name for a Crown Vic cruiser replacement based on the next gen Falcon platform?

An interesting side note - in 2006 Ford transfered Scott Strong, who previously headed up design of the current Falcon, back to Australia as Design Director for the new platform - you may recognize the name - one of Mr Strongs hat's in his previous US based role with Ford was design chief at SVT since 2002, heading up design for the GT500.

Welcome home, old man... good info on that. I just saw some pics of the interceptor, I only hope they get smart and implement it properly.
(#14)
Old
Stick axles suck...

01-02-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana
Welcome home, old man... good info on that. I just saw some pics of the interceptor, I only hope they get smart and implement it properly.
I'm thinking the same thing - hence the additional paragraph in my edit.

Daron

2015 GT
IRS Equipped 98 Cobra
2012 Kona Blue Boss (sold)
(#15)
Old

01-02-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz98Cobra
I'm thinking the same thing - hence the additional paragraph in my edit.
Missed that. Interesting point--isn't the S197 platform a derivative of the LS platform?