(#1)
Old

Who knows SVT? - 01-24-2013, 05:03 PM

I have a '98 Cobra throwing a code (1518 I think) IMRC stuck open. HOWEVER they are closed with the motor off and move fine by hand. They are pulled wide open at idle. I am guessing wiring or computer. Something is telling them to open at start up. Where would be the best place to take it to track this down? Dealer, aftermarket, who would you suggest for an issue like this?

Thanks
(#2)
Old
EL Presidente...

01-25-2013, 12:13 AM

The box that controls the IMRCs is closed until 3250 rpms, then it (they) swings open and stays like that (above that pre-set RPM), its either closed or open until that RPM. If they are opening under idle than the box has malfunctioned and is keeping them open at idle and above. Which is a good thing sorta, because the CPU has different performance settings for open or close, it is lean at close and rich when open, thats why after 3250 rpm on a stock Cobra it feels like a small 50hp shot N20.
They are closed below that RPM to help the TQ curve at lower RPM's.

Also some aftermarket performance CHIPS were programmed to stay open at 100 RPM and above, but they would not throw a code (If I remember correctly). I have a extra box that you can use to help diagnose, but Im not really interested in selling it*, let me know via PM...'Henry

Unless they are discountinued, then I will sell for one million dollars...

Howdy hi there friends and neighbors, this is your old pal EL Monte Slim again, hot damn its good to see ya today.

Last edited by Boosted32V; 01-25-2013 at 12:28 AM..
(#3)
Old

01-25-2013, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the info and the offer. Having that to test with would sure be a huge help. I may have to take you up on it. As it stands right now I need an inspection but can''t because of the CEL.

Should I assume it is either all or nothing on these things (Wide open or full closed)? No half open condition?

I suppose I could just leave them "as is" then a reprogram would take care of the CEL and compensate for idle and A/F mix. Basically eliminate them without the work. At least until the cable breaks.
(#4)
Old
EL Presidente...

01-25-2013, 03:12 PM

No half open, they either work or they don't. The soloniods that control the cables are either open or closed. I'm assuming that something is wrong and thats why they are staying open. If there is no chip or programmer than I would have to assume that it is malfunctioning. Its a simple plug at the back of the intake since it hangs upside down on the bottom of the intake. We can unplug it and plug mine in and see what happens.
(#5)
Old
PC Geek/Board Member

01-28-2013, 01:08 AM

It could be bad contacts and not opening fast enough or far enough to close the circuit.

The Focus had that issue and I took it apart and cleaned the contacts and then realigned the spring and gear. Put it back in and problem went away.

On the Focus it was closed with car off creating a short runner and then Open when the car started to create a Long runner manifold.
Then when the car reached 4k the runner would go short to account for the higher rpms.
So I was able to see position change after starting the car.

If you are mechanically inclined I would suggest take it apart and reset it.
Probably will require soldering the Motor wires to get the board off the bottom of the box.

Joe Cool
2013 Focus ST
2003 Yamaha Warrior
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Last edited by Captcomputer; 01-28-2013 at 01:12 AM..
(#6)
Old

01-28-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captcomputer View Post
It could be bad contacts and not opening fast enough or far enough to close the circuit.

The Focus had that issue and I took it apart and cleaned the contacts and then realigned the spring and gear. Put it back in and problem went away.

On the Focus it was closed with car off creating a short runner and then Open when the car started to create a Long runner manifold.
Then when the car reached 4k the runner would go short to account for the higher rpms.
So I was able to see position change after starting the car.

If you are mechanically inclined I would suggest take it apart and reset it.
Probably will require soldering the Motor wires to get the board off the bottom of the box.
I take this to mean pull the IMRC actuator box open it up soldering to remove the board to get to the contacts? If I am correct that would not be too difficult.

It does almost seem like contacts may be stuck. I have had that happen on the air conditioner at the house.

Thanks for the input.
(#7)
Old

PM Sent - 02-04-2013, 04:53 PM

Boosted 32V. PM sent.