Go Back   Ford Performance Club of North Texas > General Discussion > The Lounge

(#1)
Old

Ford Shelby GT500 price sheet - 06-13-2006, 11:28 AM

I don't know if this is old news to everybody but according to Planet Mustang they have obtained a copy of the actual price sheet for the 2007 Shelby GT500. It appears to be legit.

98 SVT Cobra Convertible - Laser Red/Saddle-Black Interior/Saddle top
Vortech S-Trim w/AC @ 10.5 PSI, 60# injectors, TKO 5 speed, Full MM suspension at all 4 corners. TWEECER-RT,Netbook PC, Binary Editor and EEC Analyzer for DIY tuning. Last dyno: 471 RWHP and 389 RWTQ. Engine build to handle more power is under way.

Other Cars I've owned:
SOLD - 1984 Mustang GT, 5.0, M5, Medium Canyon Red Glow, Charcoal interior & T-tops.
GONE - 1972 Chevelle w/402 CI BB and turbo 400 trans.
SOLD - 1966 Plymouth Belvedere w/383, 4 speed and Sure Grip diff.

Member of: www.EECTuning.org
(#2)
Old

06-13-2006, 04:30 PM

It's interesting that the dealer profit is blanked out.

Jerry
SVT Texas Technical Coordinator
2007 Solstice
1997 T-Bird MUST SELL
1948 F1 Street Rod MUST SELL
1997 Cobra Convertible ......#1970 of 3088 MUST SELL
Black with Saddle top and Saddle Leather..... 1 of 219
Now one of a kind
if interested in buying any of Jerry's vehicles, contact Jera 817-681-3565
(#3)
Old
"King James"

06-14-2006, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burlesonsnake
I agree, I bet that dealer price in the low 30s. he only reason I think it's that high is because of the cost of the motor and other upgrades. If it were a GT spinoff like i originally thought Shelby was going to do since he is a name whore now, i would have said low to mid 20s...

Ah, who the hell knows what i'm driving anymore.

(#4)
Old

06-14-2006, 01:07 PM

HAHA name whore is right he will put his signature on anything I wish good things would stay speacial an not just be thrown around.
(#5)
Old

06-14-2006, 08:24 PM

You guys keep bad mouthing Shelby, but he did many great things for Ford way back when and he deserves respect from my point of view. Read a little Ford racing history.

Jerry
2007 Solstice
1997 T-Bird MUST SELL
Now one of a kind
(#6)
Old

06-14-2006, 09:19 PM

oh I respect what he has done but I just wish he would make his name a little more hard to come by on a car. I think it would help keep the image, and pride.
(#7)
Old
Lookin' For Fun

06-15-2006, 04:29 AM

Quote:
You guys keep bad mouthing Shelby, but he did many great things for Ford way back when and he deserves respect from my point of view. Read a little Ford racing history.
i honestly could care less about what someone used to be when they will whore them self out to anyone for a little cash. It would be different if there was 1 maybe 2 05+ mustangs with a shelby name. I think there are currently 5 with 2 more on the way and then this one. I also wasnt around in the 60's, so i prefer SVT over shelby any day of the week.

1973 Mustang Mach 1 Originally Bright Red
2011 Ford Raptor Black/Black with all the bells
"Excitement never went this fast"
(#8)
Old
"King James"

06-15-2006, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Jerry, you are right about what he did in the past. But as you know what he is doing today is nothing compared to what he did back then. he is selling himself to the almighty dollar. he's not doing the design anymore..

(#9)
Old

06-15-2006, 08:45 AM

Christ fellows, can't a guy get old and rest on the past a little. As much as that man did for Ford racing he deserves to sell his name. Damn he had a heart transplant and is still a CAR GUY. Some of those that HATE him so much don't have a clue as to a reason.
My sister-in-law hates Chinese food, but she's never tasted the stuff. You guys are welcome to hate whomever you want, but why don't you keep it to yourselves, as we all already know you hate Shelby, you keep saying it over and over and over.

Think about this> There wouldn't be a SVT Cobra or a Ford GT if it wasn't for Carol Shelby. The AC Ace bodied Cobra was his idea and he made the cars that Ford sold. He made the Ford GT 40 work. If it wasn't for him (and a couple of other car guys) Enso would have kicked Fords ass and the GT wouldn't be important enough to build a retro model.

Jerry
2007 Solstice
1997 T-Bird MUST SELL
Now one of a kind

Last edited by burlesonsnake; 06-15-2006 at 09:01 AM..
(#10)
Old
"King James"

06-15-2006, 09:42 AM

it's not that i hate him because i dont. it's like when you watch your kids grow up and make silly decisions and you have to watch them go through the consequences of that decision. i just think that it is just sad that he couldn't retire and let his name stay strong. I'm not knocking what Shelby did, started, changed the world as far as cars goes. He will have to live with the fact that the more he waters his name out, the higher the chances are of a lower quality product will appear. That is not what shelby is known for.

(#11)
Old
Stick axles suck...

06-15-2006, 10:42 AM

This discussion highlights an interesting point - which is the younger the Ford fan, the less the Shelby name means to them.

To a Gen Xer, Shelby is just a doddery old dude who won some big races and made some cool cars in the 60s - but now whores his good name around to anyone who asks for it. I think for this age group, much of the respect for his achievements is diluted by the fact that he is allowing his name to be associated with a lot of product he has little to no involvement in over the last few years.

BTW, I honestly don't think Shelby is motivated so much by the money - I think he is just a genuinely nice fella, and is too naive in his twilight years to say no to anyone. In his old age, ALL this car stuff is cool to him - he's having a ball being invited to all these companies to see "his" cars - so just like he'll sign anyone's glove box cover, he can't say no when someone approaches him with a naming deal. Are other people exploiting this for money? You betcha! They are the ones people should be hating, not Shelby?

Jerry, think about what you wrote - "can't a guy get old and rest on the past a little." - I think the problem for many is that he is NOT just getting old and resting on his past - he is diluting that by associating himself with so many of these projects that are just interested in capitalising on his good name.

The term "one man's hero is another man's has-been" comes to mind - the GT500 is aimed squarely at folks who consider Shelby a hero - the baby boomer Ford muscle car fans who grew up with Shelby and his cars. Actually a smart move on Ford's part from a marketing point of view since the younger market - those who might consider Shelby a has-been - is already being served well by a multitude of 3rd party tuners. Take for example the new Foose Mustang - young folks consider Mr Foose a hero - he's current - he's cool - he's on TV - so they will want a car with his name on it. What I don't get is some of the other "Shelbys" - like that horrid pimped out Mustang that is apparently going to wear his name? To me, that is a marketing blunder of the first order as they are making a car that only appeals to people who are more than likely to consider Shelby a has-been? Kinda like an aftershave company coming out with a new splash-on aimed at under 25 year old dudes and calling it Bogart!

Anyway, I'm digressing - my original point here is that different ages groups are going to be looking at Shelby and Shelby branded products from a totally different point of view - it's just human nature.

Daron

2015 GT
IRS Equipped 98 Cobra
2012 Kona Blue Boss (sold)
(#12)
Old

06-15-2006, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I find it is disturbing that the actual price a dealer pays the manufacture for a vehicle is a more closely guarded secret than US military operations are in a war zone.

Vortech S-Trim w/AC @ 10.5 PSI, 60# injectors, TKO 5 speed, Full MM suspension at all 4 corners. TWEECER-RT,Netbook PC, Binary Editor and EEC Analyzer for DIY tuning. Last dyno: 471 RWHP and 389 RWTQ. Engine build to handle more power is under way.

Other Cars I've owned:
SOLD - 1984 Mustang GT, 5.0, M5, Medium Canyon Red Glow, Charcoal interior & T-tops.

(#13)
Old
"King James"

06-15-2006, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GACobra
I find it is disturbing that the actual price a dealer pays the manufacture for a vehicle is a more closely guarded secret than US military operations are in a war zone.
agreed. i wonder what the web is saying about dealer invoice

(#14)
Old
Yo! Me an old Fart?

06-21-2006, 05:58 PM

Something that you may or may not know about ol' Carroll is that most of the proceeds that are generated from the "selling of his name" actually go to the Shelby Heart Foundation. He collects very little if any of it for himself. Also, some of the cars out there sporting his name are not offically licensed and there are legal actions being taken against those that are not licensed.

68 GT Fastback
93 Cobra #3237 of 4993
95 Cobra Convertible #337 of 1003
99 35th Anniversary Convertible
05 Dodge D2500 4X4 Quad Cab Diesel (Big Blue)
01 Chrysler Prowler Mulholland Edition SOLD
(#15)
Old

06-21-2006, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle
Something that you may or may not know about ol' Carroll is that most of the proceeds that are generated from the "selling of his name" actually go to the Shelby Heart Foundation. He collects very little if any of it for himself. Also, some of the cars out there sporting his name are not offically licensed and there are legal actions being taken against those that are not licensed.
Very interesting, I didn't know that. If you could take a little time and pull together some facts and post them up, people might change their opinion. Unfortunately people aren't seeing him for his generosity but as a money grabber instead.

Other Cars I've owned: