(#1)
Old
Administrator

Car of the Day 1/3 - 01-03-2007, 09:25 AM

OK, so I want to try and get a little more traffice going on here. My son was nice enough to give me the calendar he won at the Holiday Party (he kept the $25 GC to Home Depot!) and I thought it would be cool to learn a thing or two about the history of some of the cars on the calendar.

Yesterday's was a 1957 AMC Nash Ambassador
Today's is a 1970 Dodge Challenger T/A

I know we have some very "wise" folks here, please let us know about these vehicles. Like what is the T/A stands for, what engine does each have, did you have one, do you remember someone who did, were the hood pins a factory option or just in the picture, where white walls standard on the Nash.

Unfortunately I don't know much since the first one was before my time and the 2nd one came out the year I was born!

HAVE FUN WITH IT!
G. Scott

G. Scott
Power in the Hands of a Few
1 of 14 to be exact
'98 Saleen Cobra #98-082
458 rwhp 372 torque
(#2)
Old

01-03-2007, 11:20 AM

The T/A edition was named after the SCCA Trans American series. I found this great link with good history on the Challenger: http://www.allpar.com/model/challenger.html

As a kid growing up, the General Lee for many years was my favorite muscle car. Of course it's a Charger but the Challenger also looks really cool. I almost convinced a good friend of mine to restore a Charger, but he liked the Challenger better. Eventually he got a 68 Cougar and I did a lot of work on it but he never worked on it and nothing ever came of it.

Jerry
Pics
(#3)
Old
Club Member

01-03-2007, 11:38 PM

Oh Yea , remember the young school daze. Got to ride in one of those 70 challengers that had the 340 6-pack, as well as Cuda AAR, Hemi Roadrunner, GT500KR,Boss 302, etc. I feel lucky enough to be in those years with friends who had older brothers ( even sisters) to hang out with these. Rock On .
(#4)
Old

01-03-2007, 11:43 PM

The T/A Challenger was only built one year with one engine and carb configuration.
It was built so Dogde could run in Trans AM its sister car is the AAR CUDA.

They only had 340 Six pacs in them. Six pac is the three 2 barrel carbs on the motor. These cars are bringing big money these days. From 50-350k depending on color and trany.

Other differences in these factory race cars were.
Better (quicker) steering rack, side ext, sway bars, both had F-glass hoods and small duck tail spoilers.
(#5)
Old

01-03-2007, 11:49 PM

1957 Nash

This was a funny time for Nash as buy this time they had bought many other small companies like Frasier and Kisher (both spelled wrong). I believe around 1957 they would have been merging all the small companies and there is no telling what motors went into what.

I am not big on Nash history after 1940. I have owned a 1939 Nash and it is a street rod still in my family.